Monday 23 April 2012

Being Human

Life can bring the hardest man to his knees and can pack him off to the darkest place imaginable. I've been and clawed my way back.  A dear friend has gotten himself lost and is there right now. He's sending me postcards. I want him to buy a return ticket. But there is little I can do to help. Being human, eh? What a fucking challenge!

Being Human:

A great man saved my life,
a lifetime ago.
Carried me in his arms.
Used himself as a shield,
to protect me.
Strongest man I know,
now broken, mentally,
by the simple struggle,
of being human.
I want him to save himself,
like he once saved me
but mental strength,
is the hardest to find,
when life comes along
and erodes it to nothing.
Today I could protect him,
with physical strength
but today, that is no defence,
against the power
of unhealthy thinking.
I can only hope,
there is a glimmer, a glint
of spiritual light,
that will glow and grow
and return him,
from the dark place
he now resides.

© Paul David Hogan 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment